I am very behind on my blog posts, and I have much to catch up on from this summer. But first I simply have to post about what just happened to my Gabby girl.
Gabby has been into everything tonight. I got a big shipment of stuff that I ordered from my Celebrating Home party, so there was much exploring of boxes and paper and plastic. Not 30 seconds after I set out my new vase (with fake grass and lights in it) by the fireplace she was swatting and chewing. She got sprayed with the water bottle 4 times in about 5 minutes. Finally she gave up (plus I moved the vase to the mantle).
Well a little while later I hear her getting sick behind the couch. Nothing to be grossed out about, cats swallow a lot of fur and sometimes they throw up. So this time she threw up a LOT because she had just eaten. I was feeling a little bad for her, what with fussing at her and squirting her most of the night. I decided to try and give her some of the hairball medicine I bought for them. The last time (and only other time) I tried to give this to them it did not go well. My last cat, Rosie, loved the stuff and looked forward to her "treat" every night. These two hooligans? Heck no. They can't stand it. But I thought hey, I'll try again with Gabby because she's the good one. So I put a little bit on my finger and pick her up so she can lick it off. She gets a tiny bit and starts throwing her head back and doing her best to get it out of her mouth. At this point I realize I have about a half a second before she bolts and I get scratched because I'm holding her. So I try to quickly put the medicine on the outside of her mouth so she'll have to lick it off. Yeah... she moved. And I missed. I sort of "drop" her and she jumps down, her head all cockeyed. I look closer and I totally got the medicine all over her cheek right below her eye. Oops!
Gabby walks away, still cockeyed. Every couple of steps she stops and licks her lips, turning her head to the side (imagine someone trying to bite their ear). I am uncontrollably laughing at this point and can do nothing to help her. I get a wet paper towel so I can attempt to wipe it off. Meanwhile I notice that somehow it has gotten on my shirt and all over both arms. Add to that a generous layer of cat fur and I'm rockin' my very own Gabby sweater.
Gabby wants no part of this "help" that I want to give her, so I end up chasing her into my bedroom and then I take her into the bathroom (aka torture chamber). I bend down on top of her, using my weight to hold her, and try to wipe her face. She flips backward and starts climbing me like a tree. Oh hell no. We are not doing this again. Been there done that and have the scars to prove it! I get all mama cat on her, holding her by the scruff and eventually get her face clean. She is meowing and howling the entire time, you would think I was torturing her rather than wiping her face. We finish, I let her go, and survey the damage. In addition to my Gabby sweater there's also holes in my t-shirt. Oh well, at least it's an old one.
All of this just because she got sick and I tried to give her medicine. Never again! The label on that medicine tube mocks me, saying things like "just place a drop on their paw and they will lick it off" (no, Izzy will wipe her paw on the carpet to get it off) and "just place a drop on their nose and they will lick it off" (no, Gabby will freak out, you will almost get it in her eye, and you'll end up wearing a kitty sweater of fur). Sigh.
So good to read a new post! (Hint hint) Your cats are crazy! Hate to say it, but I told you so on that decorative grass with lights thing. :)
ReplyDelete