Thursday, January 8, 2015

Zip Fail


About 6 months ago, I went ziplining on my birthday. I decided I wanted to do something fun and adventurous, and I have always wanted to go ziplining. My mom went with me and we had a fabulous time. Now, that fun has come back to bite me.

On our first zipline, I injured my right shoulder. I reached back to brake and squeezed too hard, and my arm was jerked backwards. I didn’t pay much attention to it because I was having so much fun getting my Indiana Jones on (no seriously – there were rope bridges y’all; I was one zipline away from asking Short Round a.k.a. Mom to call me Dr. Jones). And, because it was my BIRTHDAY and this was AWESOME and we were on an ADVENTURE. But after we left and the few days that followed, I realized I had done something to my shoulder. It was really more of an annoyance than anything else. As long as I didn’t move it just so, it was fine. So I spent the next 5 months not being able to reach things in the backseat, throwing football with Sam with my left hand, and not being able to do push ups. Okay fine, I can’t ‘do’ push ups anyway but now I couldn’t even pretend to try. I didn’t really worry about it, because I was really too busy to think about it.

Then a few weeks ago I suddenly couldn’t move it in any direction without pain, and the pain was real pain and not so much an annoyance. Crap. Ain’t nobody got time for that. Now I was having trouble washing my hair, sleeping, and picking up my 10lb cat. I made an appointment with an orthopedist and tried to make it through the holidays without the full use of my arm. Meanwhile, I’ve been trying to use that arm as little as possible. This fact in itself is quite laughable. I am extremely right-handed, right-armed, right-sided, you name it. I can’t even brush my hair with my left hand; actually, my left hand is pretty much only good for keeping my watch from falling off my arm. And symmetry. That too.

I found out today that I do have an interstitial tear, but no surgery is needed. This is good news, because as you know, ain’t nobody got time for that. A steroid injection and some physical therapy should get me back to normal in a couple of months. The steroid injection I got today – whew, that was an interesting type of pain. Between that injection and the pain I’ve had the last couple of days, this arm is useless right now. On the bright side, the resident was pretty cute. And I’m sure it was super smooth of me to ask for help untying my gown because I couldn’t move my right arm AT ALL after the injection. Oh yeah. I got skills. 

Moral of this 6 month story – this year I’m staying home on my birthday. Apparently trying to be as adventurous as your childhood hero is more suited for your 20s.


 Dr. Jones and Shorty in action

No comments:

Post a Comment