Tuesday, March 23, 2010

2010 so far

Every year on New Year's I think this is going to be the year that amazing things happen. The whole year is stretched out in front of you and you have no idea where your life will take you. Well, 2010, so far you have kept it anything but normal by throwing me a few curve balls. Let's examine how 2010 is shaping up so far:

It is the year I celebrated 1 year of home ownership (read: being forever in debt). I can't believe it's already been a year, mostly because I still have boxes that need unpacking. I love my house, my neighborhood, and being out in the country. Now paying the mortgage? That's another story. Plus, now my parents are coming by with boxes of my stuff that has been living happily in their attic for the last 15 or so years, and is suddenly looking for a new home.

It's the year I lost my dear sweet Rosie. Ro has been with me through some pretty big transitions in my life; my first house I lived in after college, getting my first real job, losing my Aunt, moving to Chapel Hell, losing my Uncle, going to grad school, and buying my very own home. I got to spend my first year in my very own home with Ro, and I am thankful for that. I still miss her terribly and it is still a struggle for me to let go.

It's the year I (finally!) sold my car. I'm particularly excited about this one because it means I can pay for the rest of grad school. And considering I only have 1 year left, being able to pay when you're this close to the end is quite important.

It's the year UNC did not make it into the NCAA tournament! I'm particularly excited about this one as well. My tarheel friends (misguided as they may be) will remind me quickly that NCSU was not there either, but you see, that is not the point. I'm talking about UNC, not NCSU. AND YOU WERE NOT THERE UNC. ha!

It's the year I got my two new babies, Gabby and Izzy. 7 month old Maine Coon mix kittens. The last time I had a kitten I was 6 years old, so this is quite different than my life with Ro. They keep each other entertained, and me as well, and the fur is a-flyin' (literally. and I vacuum. a lot.). Their new fun thing to do is stalk each other down the hall, and then run full speed, slam into each other, and wrestle. If you've never seen a kitty headlock, you're missing out.

What else is coming in 2010? Who knows. I will finish up my last classes for grad school and only have my project left to complete. I will celebrate 5 years as a Duke employee (wow. just got depressed, because that made me think about how I graduated from college 6 years ago). My sweet buddy Sam will graduate from kindergarten, and boy is he already counting the days. I will turn another year closer to 30 and freak out. All in all, it looks like 2010 is shaping up to be a decent year. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment