Thursday, September 16, 2010

Weekend Update

Weekend in Charleston was just fabulous, except it went by too quickly as usual. We went out to dinner to celebrate Jonathan's birthday, made a yummy ice cream cake for J's birthday (well, Rachel made it and I played with baby Will), cooked a yummy steak dinner (well, Rachel cooked and I played with baby Will), and I played with Jack and baby Will anytime they weren't napping. I think I almost had Will saying "KK" before I left... ok, that might be a slight exaggeration, seeing as how he is 6 months old. But still! He totally wanted to say it and was all about hanging out with his Aunt KK. I mean, look at this sweet boy!



While I was gone, Dad was looking after my babies at home. I was hoping Gabby and Izzy weren't too lonely or you know, wrecking the house and all. When I got home everything looked normal, I was shocked! I guess they only wreak havoc when I'm home to see it. I also noticed a few other things, like my broken flag pole with my NC STATE flag is mysteriously back in it's proper place, there are new flowers for me to kill in the flower pot out front, and my TV seems to be working properly again. Don't you just love Dads? Mine sure does look after me. But he also loves to toy with me. I had called him while I was gone, to see how the kitties were behaving. Just fine, he said, they were waiting at the door looking out the window when I got there Friday evening. How cute! I thought, they don't hate him after all! Well, Sunday after I got back I went out to Mom and Dad's for dinner. I asked Dad why he had moved their food bowls to the other side of the kitchen, because that is something he would do just to be random. The next minute played out like this:

Dad: Well, there were ants all in their food bowls when I got there. So I moved them to-
Sam: (shouting with excitement) And PaPa found a big black snake on your porch when he got to your house!!!
Dad: (snickering)
Sam: (grinning from ear to ear)
Me: What?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Dad: (laughing)
Sam: (laughing)
Ashley, Susan Claire, Mom: (laughing, laughing, laughing)
Me: A snake?!?!?!?!? On my porch?!?!?!? And just WHEN were you planning to tell me this?!?!?!?
Dad: Well, remember when I said the kitties were at the door waiting for me? They were sitting at the window watching the snake.

So apparently there was a 4 foot long rat snake on my porch. Not on my sidewalk, or even my steps, but on my porch. He climbed (slithered?) up the stairs and made himself comfortable on my welcome mat. The nerve! Newsflash Mr. Snake: you are not welcome on my porch. I'd prefer you not be in my bushes either. You are welcome to live in the woods. Thanks.

Me: So where did it go when you poked at it?
Dad: It headed off into the bushes.
Me: Which bushes?
Dad: The ones around the front of your house. He probably lives in the azaleas in front of your porch (snicker snicker)
Me: (glaring at him)

And this? Has turned me into a crazy person. All week I have been tip toe-ing around like there is a snake around every corner. Gabby sits on the edge of the bed at night, staring into the hallway with her eyes all wide and I am convinced that snake is coming down the hallway. I search my garage everyday when I get home. Everytime I walk past the front door I look outside on the porch, steps, and sidewalk for Mr. Snake. And it doesn't help that almost all of Gabby and Izzy's toys are sticks with long strings on them. I am really not that paranoid about snakes (ha! you wouldn't think that after reading the above would you?). I grew up in the country and I live in the country now, so I know it comes with the territory. I saw one last week while I was mowing, it was a small brown snake. Somehow sitting on a loud piece of machinery with a rapidly spinning blade underneath does wonders for my confidence, and I wasn't really worried about that little guy (although I was convinced for about a day and a half that he was small enough to get in my back door if he could get on the deck. Plus I think I scared the life out of him when I was swinging the weed eater at any and every possible place he could have been around the back of the house). But Mr. Black Snake that was on my porch? That has been a different story. I think because I wasn't there to see it, I didn't see him in person, or see where he went. Mr. Brown Snake, I've settled my beef with you, thanks to the weed eater. Mr. Black Snake, this isn't over yet.

Although, should we meet again, could it please be next to the woods or in the driveway, and not so close to inside my house? Thanks.



On a positive note, it's GAME DAY!! LET'S GO WOLFPACK!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so I figured out how to get into my account to sign in. Wahoo! I love the pics of you and Will! We miss you, KK!! When are you coming down again???!!

    ReplyDelete